The Duchess of Cornwall celebrates her birthday today, and will be touring Cornwall along with her husband, Prince Charles, in the coming weeks. To mark the special occasion, here are some facts you may not have known about the Duchess.
- She was born Camilla Rosemary Shand on the 17th July 1947, and is in fact 16 months older than her husband, Prince Charles.
- At Wimbledon earlier this month, Camilla watched Andy Murray's victory against Robin Haase. After his win, he threw his sweatband into the Royal Box, where the Duchess caught a hold of it. She decided to put the signed wristband onto eBay, which eventually sold for over £2000. She requested that Andy choose which charity would benefit from the money, with him choosing for it to be donated to the Royal Veterinary College Animal Care Trust.
- When she married into the Royal Family in 2005, the event was commemorated with the naming of a flower after her. The rose is a gentle orange colour, and has a quartered bloom made up of over 100 petals.
- When she has time off from her royal duties, she is said to enjoy gardening, walking in the British countryside, and even indulges in a spot of fishing!
- The full royal title for Camilla is "Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Chester, Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order", but the Duchess of Cornwall is much catchier, and less of a mouthful!
Here at the Cormorant, we wish many happy returns to the Duchess, and hope she enjoys her special day. If you, a friend or family member is looking to celebrate their special day, or are just looking for fantastic restaurants in Fowey, Cornwall, why not book a table at the Cormorant today, where the fantastic local ingredients in all of our food will be the perfect way to celebrate.
Photo courtesy of Dan Marsh, under Creative Commons